Mexicana Skillet Stew Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, potatoes, onion, green pepper and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add picante sauce, garlic salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef and garlic powder) equals 344 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 527 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.