Mexican Zucchini Casserole
Use some of your garden bounty to whip up this zesty quiche-like casserole that teams zucchini with cheese, onion, egg and jalapeno pepper. Dolores Kitzinger of Appleton, Wisconsin sent in the recipe. "You could serve it as a meatless main dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner," she notes.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, oil, salt and pepper. Add the
- zucchini, jalapeno and onion; stir to coat. Stir in biscuit mix and
- Pour into a 15-oz. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at
- 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let
- stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with egg substitute, reduced-fat biscuit mix and reduced-fat cheese) equals 185 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.