Mexican White Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: corn chips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in chicken, beans, broth, chilies and dry seasonings.
- 3. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through. Stir in cilantro. If desired, serve with corn chips, cheese and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without toppings) equals 271 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.