Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 6 medium green or sweet red pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/4 cups salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, 1 cup salsa, chilies, chili powder and salt. Spoon into peppers.
- 3. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining salsa. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
One stuffed pepper equals 334 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 665 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.