Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 6 medium green or sweet red pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/4 cups salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, 1 cup salsa, chilies, chili powder and salt. Spoon into peppers.
- 3. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup water to dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining salsa. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
One stuffed pepper equals 334 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 665 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers
"excellent!substituted black beans for rice."
"This was really good! Everyone liked it"
"I only changed one thing, I used spaghetti squash instead of the rice...my husband is diabetic so I limit his carbs, got to say it was a hit with the entire family."
"I was trying to find a Stuffed Pepper recipe that my husband would eat and this is it. Thanks for the great recipe that is healthy!"
"this recipe was great or as my husband put it--"killer"!! we use ground venison instead of beef and hubby requested corn in meat mixture--I also used some tomato juice in pan instead of water--loved it!!!"
"This was my first time ever making stuffed peppers, and they turned out awesome. The only thing that I would recommend is that if you like your peppers to have a little more crunch do not boil them and take them out a little early."
"Absolutely loved it! I've made it a few times now - the best stuffed peppers I've ever made!"
"My family loved this recipe but we love mexican. The only modification I made was I put extra green chilies and a little less rice. Also great with out the peppers as a casserole."