Mexican Stuffed Peppers
“This nutritious yet economical summer meal makes the most of my home-grown peppers. I like to top it with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips and salsa, but it’s wonderful on its own, too.” —Kimberly Coleman, Columbia, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope (5.4 ounces) Mexican-style rice and pasta mix
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a
- Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water 3-5 minutes. Drain and
- rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add diced tomatoes, water and pasta mix. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until liquid is
- Place 1/3 cup rice mixture in each pepper; sprinkle each with 2
- tablespoons cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture. Place in a
- greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle
- with remaining cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese
- is melted and peppers are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 stuffed pepper equals 301 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 797 mg sodium,