Mexican Stew Recipe
- 1 pound boneless pork loin roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle over medium-high heat, brown meat on all sides in 1 teaspoon oil; drain. Remove meat and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute the onion, celery, jalapeno and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the water, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt and pepper. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the tomato paste, beans and tomatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender and beans are heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 377 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 991 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Mexican Stew
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.