Mexican Spoon Bread Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, corn, olives, chili powder, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornmeal, milk and salt; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and egg.
- 3. Spoon meat mixture into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Pour topping over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 22-26 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 436 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 1418mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Spoon Bread Casserole
"Made this for my husband and me - a nice amount for 2 people and it was a nice change from your usual tomato/noodle beef casserole. I didn't have any olives so just added more corn. It was easier than the recipe looks, too!"