- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, corn, olives, chili powder, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornmeal, milk and salt; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and egg.
- Spoon meat mixture into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Pour topping over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 22-26 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Spoon Bread Casserole
Sort By :
"Anytime my husband walks in and says something smells good and then says it tastes good, it's a definite five stars. Doubled it and had the other half a three days later."
"Made this for my husband and me - a nice amount for 2 people and it was a nice change from your usual tomato/noodle beef casserole. I didn't have any olives so just added more corn. It was easier than the recipe looks, too!"