Mexican Shrimp Salad Recipe
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first nine ingredients; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Thread shrimp onto four metal or soaked wooden skewers; discard onion mixture. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- 4. Divide lettuce among four plates; top with shrimp. Serve immediately with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 218 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.