Mexican Shrimp Salad Recipe
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first nine ingredients; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Thread shrimp onto four metal or soaked wooden skewers; discard onion mixture. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- 4. Divide lettuce among four plates; top with shrimp. Serve immediately with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 218 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Mexican Shrimp Salad
"Yummy!!!! The shrimp have lots of flavor. We had the shrimp on top of spinach, with tomatoes on top. Had some texas toast on the side. It was a great, healthy, filling meal!"
"The Salad did not have enough substance,so I added ranch style beans,black beans,celery tomatoes,vinigar and oil dressing."
"This shrimp was awesome. I did leave out the cilantro, we are not fans. I grilled it, served it with a side salad, some chopped spinach and sliced up red onion. I grilled up a tortilla wrap, broke up the wrap and ate the meal with my fingers. Delicious!"
"THIS IS A AWESOME RECIPE. BEST I EVER HAD.I USE THE SEASONING FOR MY SHRIMP ALL THE TIME I ALSO USE IT ON MY FISH."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.