- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Shrimp Bisque
"This soup was delicious! I will definitely make it again."
"Absolutely Wonderful. I made this tonight for dinner ( I doubled the batch ). My husband ate 2 BIG bowls and then picked out of the pan. We truly enjoyed this. I would truly recommend this."
"I've made it twice now for my husband and I and he said it again, "this is the BEST" soup/meal that you can make!" I put it over a small bed of Jasmine rice, it was very filling! The avocado and cilantro is highly recommended."
"I used 1 lbs. of mudbugs instead of shrimp and doubled the recipe. Out of this world great."
"Very easy, excellent taste. I make the recipe as written and not make any adjustments."