- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Shrimp Bisque
"This soup was delicious! I will definitely make it again."
"Absolutely Wonderful. I made this tonight for dinner ( I doubled the batch ). My husband ate 2 BIG bowls and then picked out of the pan. We truly enjoyed this. I would truly recommend this."
"I've made it twice now for my husband and I and he said it again, "this is the BEST" soup/meal that you can make!" I put it over a small bed of Jasmine rice, it was very filling! The avocado and cilantro is highly recommended."
"I used 1 lbs. of mudbugs instead of shrimp and doubled the recipe. Out of this world great."
"Very easy, excellent taste. I make the recipe as written and not make any adjustments."
"Very tasty & easy"
"Fantastic!!! Made the other night and was very pleased and so was the family. Served over a bed of rice though, bulked up the meal a bit. Will be making again for sure."
"Made this last night and I LOVED it. I'm a total shrimp lover and this was a delight. I used regular whipping cream and precooked shrimp (added shrimp after mixing soup with sour cream mixture) and it turned out great. I also used a suggestion I read on this page and used guacamole instead of avocado and I'm glad I did. Every flavor complemented the other. Will definately make this again."
"Made soooo many changes not sure review is fair enough but we did like it. Don't like cumin, coriander or avocado so left out entirely. Used only 2 tsp chili powder due to other reviewers but wasn't spicy at all. I added some corn and substituted 1/2 n 1/2 for the cream (plenty creamy), bay scallops for the shrimp and parsley for the cilantro because it's what I had on hand. Will possibly try bacon in with the onions next time to give it a little flavor boost since I chose to omit some of the other ingredients. Will make again."
"Made tonight and was very good--I think you could use some chicken breast cut into strips or small chunks in place of shrimp. I used 1/2 can corn and 1 can sliced potatoes--chopped--was happy how it turned out more like a chowder. Perfect amt as only me in the house and easy to double if company coming.I did make early in day so the flavors would meld together--think the leftovers for tomorrow will be even better."