- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- Heat a small ungreased cast-iron skillet over high heat. With a small sharp knife, pierce jalapenos; add to hot skillet. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally.
- Immediately place jalapenos in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skins. Remove stems and seeds.
- Place onion and garlic in a food processor; cover and pulse four times. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, salt and jalapenos. Cover and process until desired consistency. Chill until serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Mexican Salsa
"awesome recipe: I used 1 large can diced tomatoes drained, and 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes-only 1 drained. added 1/4 tsp cumin and 1 TBLSP fresh squeezed lime. did not do the peppers in a pan. I just pulsed them with the rest of the other ingredients. absolutely loved it. just want to know how well this recipe does when canning in a hot water bath. thank you soooooo much."
"I just made this recipe and it is delicious. I used about 1/2 cup sliced jarred jalapenos for nachos instead of roasting the jalapenos and also used a can of fire roasted stewed tomatoes because it used less sugar. I used a regular 28 oz. can of tomatoes also. This is a winner. Tastes just like the salsa you get in restaurants. We loved it. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home."
"I made this today, but I added 5 jalapenos, cumin,2 garlic cloves,no salt. Thank You for the good recipe sir. Siegie in Tucson."
"This is how ive been making mine for years, i use rotel instead, depends on whose all going to be eating some i use medium or hot"
"loved it! I used (2) cans of Petite Diced tomatoes w/jalapenos"
"i also chop some dill pickle in it -also i use fresh very ripe tomatoes from my garden"
"I add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice to the recipe. Makes a difference."
"I used the same recipe but added some lime for a little zing."
"If you like salsa - this is a must make!"
"This salsa is very good. It does taste like something served in a restaurant! I will be making this again."