Mexican Salsa Recipe
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Heat a small ungreased cast-iron skillet over high heat. With a small sharp knife, pierce jalapenos; add to hot skillet. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally.
- 2. Immediately place jalapenos in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skins. Remove stems and seeds.
- 3. Place onion and garlic in a food processor; cover and pulse four times. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, salt and jalapenos. Cover and process until desired consistency. Chill until serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup: 23 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Mexican Salsa
"awesome recipe: I used 1 large can diced tomatoes drained, and 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes-only 1 drained. added 1/4 tsp cumin and 1 TBLSP fresh squeezed lime. did not do the peppers in a pan. I just pulsed them with the rest of the other ingredients. absolutely loved it. just want to know how well this recipe does when canning in a hot water bath. thank you soooooo much."
"I just made this recipe and it is delicious. I used about 1/2 cup sliced jarred jalapenos for nachos instead of roasting the jalapenos and also used a can of fire roasted stewed tomatoes because it used less sugar. I used a regular 28 oz. can of tomatoes also. This is a winner. Tastes just like the salsa you get in restaurants. We loved it. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home."
"I made this today, but I added 5 jalapenos, cumin,2 garlic cloves,no salt. Thank You for the good recipe sir. Siegie in Tucson."
"This is how ive been making mine for years, i use rotel instead, depends on whose all going to be eating some i use medium or hot"
"loved it! I used (2) cans of Petite Diced tomatoes w/jalapenos"
"i also chop some dill pickle in it -also i use fresh very ripe tomatoes from my garden"
"I add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice to the recipe. Makes a difference."
"I used the same recipe but added some lime for a little zing."
"If you like salsa - this is a must make!"
"This salsa is very good. It does taste like something served in a restaurant! I will be making this again."
"I cheated and bought my jalapeno's in a jar and skipped the roasting of them, but when I was done and tasted it and was very satisfied! it was so quick and easy to make, and it was comparable to the mexican restaurant style served around here."
"Very good! Even tried canning some to see how it turns out. Much like what is served in the mexican restaurants here."
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.