I was raised in Southern California, not far from the Mexican border. That explains why I like Mexican food as much as I do. Much of my cooking...even when I'm making "American dishes"...is heavily influenced by the kinds of foods and flavors I tasted as a youngster growing up just north of the border.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 quarts salad greens
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 cups corn chips
- In a large bowl, mix together first four ingredients; cover and
- For dressing, mash avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in the
- sour cream, oil, lemon juice, sugar, seasoned salt and pepper
- flakes. Just before serving, add corn chips to salad; top with
- dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 193 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.