Mexican Rice Salad Recipe
Ruth Bianchi from Apple Valley, Minnesota notes, “The recipe for this delicious, colorful salad has been in my family for years. My mother used to bring it to many different functions, and I’m carrying on her tradition.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Rinse rice with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and carrot in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to rice. Stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts and cilantro.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin. Pour over rice mixture; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 297 calories, 20 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC