Mexican Pork Stew Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, brown pork and garlic. Add onion, saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, oregano and bay leaves; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until pork is tender and no longer pink.
- 2. In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (0 saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.