Mexican Pork & Pinto Beans Recipe
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- Pepper to taste
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- 1. In a stockpot, combine the first eight ingredients; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours or until meat and beans are tender.
- 2. Remove pork; cool slightly. Stir carrots, celery and tomatoes into bean mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add zucchini; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until crisp-tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove pork from bone; discard bone. Cut pork into bite-size pieces; return to pot and heat through. Serve with tortillas. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without tortillas) equals 253 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.