- 1 flour tortillas (8 inches), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or canned green chiles
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In an 8-in. skillet, saute tortilla in butter until softened, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs, water and salt in a bowl. Pour over tortilla in skillet; cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portions flow underneath. When eggs are set, remove from the heat. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Combine avocado, 1/2 cup sour cream, chiles and lemon juice; spread over half of the omelet. Fold omelet in half and transfer to a warm platter. Top with tomato and remaining cheese and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Omelet in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p26
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mexican Omelet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2009
"This is our favorite omelet ever! The creamy avacado mixture makes it so good."