Mexican Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
For a classic casserole with a little more grown-up taste, give our Test Kitchen's zesty macaroni and cheese a try.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in lime juice. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and 1 cup pepper Jack cheese until melted.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in the jalapeno, chili powder and salt. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 494 calories, 29 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC