For a classic casserole with a little more grown-up taste, give our Test Kitchen's zesty macaroni and cheese a try.
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in lime juice. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and 1 cup pepper Jack cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the jalapeno, chili powder and salt. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Macaroni and Cheese in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p224
Reviews for Mexican Macaroni and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review