Mexican Lentils and Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- 2. Stir in the corn, salsa, tomato paste, oregano and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 387 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 13g fiber), 17g protein .
Reviews for Mexican Lentils and Rice
"Not very good. Too much chili powder. I did not add the corn or cheese. Not a good combination, going to have to throw the rest out."
"Didn't add anything from Step 2 (but cooked longer) and made tacos! Added roasted bell pepper and got rave reviews."
"Did not enjoy the flavor at all."
"I wanted my children to eat this, so per the other reviewer's comments that it was spicy, I lowered the salsa to 3/4 cup and the chili powder to 2 1/4 tsp. My kids enjoyed this! I have wanted to try lentils for awhile and this recipe was a great start - thank you!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.