Mexican Lentils and Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- 2. Stir in the corn, salsa, tomato paste, oregano and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup lentil mixture with 1/2 cup brown rice and 3 tablespoons cheese equals 387 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 770 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.