- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in the corn, salsa, tomato paste, oregano and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mexican Lentils and Rice
Sort By :
Not very good. Too much chili powder. I did not add the corn or cheese. Not a good combination, going to have to throw the rest out.
Didn't add anything from Step 2 (but cooked longer) and made tacos! Added roasted bell pepper and got rave reviews.
Did not enjoy the flavor at all.
I wanted my children to eat this, so per the other reviewer's comments that it was spicy, I lowered the salsa to 3/4 cup and the chili powder to 2 1/4 tsp. My kids enjoyed this! I have wanted to try lentils for awhile and this recipe was a great start - thank you!
Spicy! I would consider this more Southwest than Mexican. I spooned mine in a half bell pepper, my husband made a burrito. Full of flavor. Great vegetarian dinner! Too spicy for the kids. For a splurge of flavor and cals, add a spoon of sour cream.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >