“You’ll love this simple, quick-cooking, throw-in-the-pan-and-simmer meal!” Shannon Koene - Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in the corn, salsa, tomato paste, oregano and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Lentils and Rice in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mexican Lentils and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review