Mexican Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup french-fried onions
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place the beans, leeks and water in a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a blender, process bean mixture and spinach until smooth. Return to the bowl; add cheeses and seasonings. Whisk in cream. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with onions and bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 641 calories, 34g fat (19g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 11g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Leek Soup
"I just used regular milk and mozarella cheese (what I had on hand). I also didn't have the onions but I added a dollop of unflavored Greek yogurt. It was delicious!"