- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup french-fried onions
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place the beans, leeks and water in a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- In a blender, process bean mixture and spinach until smooth. Return to the bowl; add cheeses and seasonings. Whisk in cream. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with onions and bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Leek Soup in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009, p23
Reviews for Mexican Leek Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2009
"I just used regular milk and mozarella cheese (what I had on hand). I also didn't have the onions but I added a dollop of unflavored Greek yogurt. It was delicious!"