Mexican Layered Salad Recipe
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 large cucumber, halved and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, sliced or cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 1 each large green and sweet red pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a 2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer fresh vegetables. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chilies and seasonings; spread over top. Sprinkle with chips and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 371 calories, 35g fat (6g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Mexican Layered Salad
"Easy recipe to make. For us it was pretty good. I just didn't like it wasn't something that could be had the next day. Or even make too far ahead. It was too soggy."
"Good and easy recipes"
"Served this at a luncheon. I added alittle more chili powder and would cut down alittle on the mayonnaise but it had a good flavor and several wanted the recipe. It is a good mix of vegetables."
"This a great salad with a pretty presentation. I don't care for mayo so I used ranch instead. I served the dressing on the side, but it was not necessary because everyone liked it. I made this dish along side a chilies rellenoes casserole."
"I am a big fan of fudge & this is the best I have ever had. I gave to relatives & friends as a gift & all raved about the taste."
"My review is based on the dressing. (As for the vegetable combination and presentation, I thought it was very good.) The dressing was overpowered by the chili powder. You could hardly taste any heat from the green chiles, and the mayo flavor was just too much. I felt embarrassed to serve it!"
"Very tasty. The flavors really blend well!! The only thing we do differently is that we leave out the avocadoes since we don't care for them. Simply DELICIOUS!!!"
"very tasty and easy to carry to dinners"
"All I can say is.....SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!"
"One of our favorites."
"except for the avocados (highly allergic) this is a wonderful salad especially during late spring through early fall. but i will serve thisduring entertaining friends and family and all year thru"
"This Mexican layered salad is a family favourite and one my family makes every time we can. It's a keeper, for sure, and definitely going in my recipe box, as we absolutely love it."
"Very good my family and friends loved it."
"This is also good with a Mexican dressing we tried. It was light mayo, taco sauce, cilantro & light french dressing..MMMMMMM"
"Much yummier than I thought it would be."