Mexican Layered Salad
Here’s another popular dish I like to prepare in advance, adding the cheese and chips just before serving. It’s a slightly different version of the layered salad.Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 large cucumber, halved and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, sliced or cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 1 each large green and sweet red pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer fresh vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chilies and seasonings; spread over
- top. Sprinkle with chips and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 371 calories, 35 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.