Mexican Lasagne Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a skillet, brown ground beef. Drain. Add corn, tomato sauce, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place half of the tortillas in the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spoon meat mixture over tortillas.
- 2. Combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic powder; spread over meat mixture. Top with remaining tortillas. Cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
1/12 recipe equals 294 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.