Mexican-Inspired Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup torn curly endive
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup salsa, cheese, paprika, oregano, cumin, sugar, garlic powder, thyme, salt and cayenne. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining salsa. Place burgers on buns; top with endive, tomato and sour cream mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 312 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.