Mexican Hot Cocoa
Stella Gilbertson, Northfield, Minnesota
22 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 cups water
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate syrup
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a large kettle, combine water and cinnamon sticks. Bring mixture
- to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until
- liquid turns light brown. Remove cinnamon sticks and discard.
- In another bowl, combine the chocolate syrup, milks and vanilla;
- slowly stir into cinnamon water. Return mixture to a simmer just to
- heat through. Top servings with whipped cream, cinnamon and cinnamon
- sticks if desired. Yield: about 5 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.