Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
This delicious, not-too-sweet hot chocolate is richly flavored with cocoa and delicately seasoned with spices. The whole-stick cinnamon stirrers come in handy, as the old-fashioned chocolate mixture settles if not stirred before drinking. The blend of cinnamon and chocolate flavors is wonderful! —Kathy Young, Weatherford, Texas
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves or nutmeg
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Whole cinnamon sticks
- 1. In a small saucepan, mix cocoa and sugar; stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 2. Add cinnamon and cloves; stir in milk. Simmer 5 minutes (do not boil). Whisk in vanilla. Pour hot chocolate into mugs; top with whipped cream. Use cinnamon sticks for stirrers. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 156 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Hot Chocolate
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2011
"just like my dad's! EASY AND LOVELY"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC