Mexican Hot Chocolate
This delicious, not-too-sweet hot chocolate is richly flavored with cocoa and delicately seasoned with spices. The whole-stick cinnamon stirrers come in handy, as the old-fashioned chocolate mixture settles if not stirred before drinking. The blend of cinnamon and chocolate flavors is wonderful! —Kathy Young, Weatherford, Texas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves or nutmeg
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped cream
- Whole cinnamon sticks
- In a small saucepan, mix cocoa and sugar; stir in water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cinnamon and cloves; stir in milk. Simmer 5 minutes (do not
- boil). Whisk in vanilla. Pour hot chocolate into mugs; top with
- whipped cream. Use cinnamon sticks for stirrers. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.