Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Recipe
A little salsa goes a long way in these quick, no-fuss sandwiches. Perked up with sweet peppers, they’re flavorful, fun and ideal on busy weeknights. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh salsa, well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a small skillet, saute peppers in oil until tender. Spread four bread slices with mayonnaise. Layer with peppers, salsa and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 2. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-4 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 402 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 892 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC