Mexican Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 421 calories, 27 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 382 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.