- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Egg Casserole
"While my sister was in Mexico with her husband visiting relatives of his, they barely cooked their eggs dishes, which my sister thought was gross. She obligingly cooked one longer and received lots of grumbles and frowns; otherwise, it was quite enjoyable to learn their culture. Dish is delicious. Thanks"
"Can this casserole be made the day before and baked in the morning?"
"I left out the hot pepper sauce but this was a very tasteful dish and my son loved it!! I think the combination of cheeses made this a winner in our book."
"Always enjoy this one"