- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mexican Egg Casserole
Sort By :
"Can this casserole be made the day before and baked in the morning?"
"I left out the hot pepper sauce but this was a very tasteful dish and my son loved it!! I think the combination of cheeses made this a winner in our book."
"Always enjoy this one"
"This casserole has been on our Christmas morning breakfast menu for years. Everybody loves it, especially with a side of salsa and mimosas!"