Mexican Corn Casserole
This satisfying side dish resembles an old-fashioned spoon bread with zip. My family and friends agree this recipe really dresses up plain corn. It's a convenient dish to transport to a potluck. — Laura Kadlec, Maiden Rock, Wisconsin
More Mexican Side Dishes
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Jalapeno pepper and sweet red pepper rings, optional
- Beat eggs in a large bowl; add the next eight ingredients and mix
- well. Stir in 2 cups cheese. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour. Top with
- remaining cheese. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish
- with peppers if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 316 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.