Mexican Corn Bread Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk and egg. Stir in corn just until blended. Spread evenly into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, red pepper and jalapenos over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 3. Spoon turkey mixture over corn bread; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with tomato, olives and green onions. Cut into six wedges; top each with sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 354 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Reviews for Mexican Corn Bread Pizza
"I use a half a can of creamed corn instead of frozen corn in the cornbread (makes the cornbread moist) and a green bell pepper instead ofred (just because I always seem to have those). I also substitute fresh chopped garlic for the jalapenos. Always turns out delicious! Next time, I plan to chop some jalapenos and add them to the cornbread mixture."
"This recipe tasted great. The cornbread is very sweet and the topping is quite spicey which gives it great flavor. Will make this again."
"This recipe was delicious and went over well with the family and I was asked for the recipe by numerous people when I took it to work. I did add one thing. I love mexican food and love refried beans, so after cooking the cornbread, but before adding the meat and cheese I spread a layer of refried beans atop the cornbread and then continued as the recipe says."