Mexican Corn Bread Pizza Recipe
“The combination of sweet cornbread and spicy taco flavors really livens up this meal," says Christy West of Greenfield, Indiana. "Using ground turkey instead of beef cuts the fat and makes a delicious dinner guilt-free.”
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk and egg. Stir in corn just until blended. Spread evenly into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, red pepper and jalapenos over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 3. Spoon turkey mixture over corn bread; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with tomato, olives and green onions. Cut into six wedges; top each with sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge equals 354 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 793 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC