My grandma loved these so much, she would hide them from my grandpa! I think of her every time I make a batch. Like Mexican spice? Try stirring in a little chili powder. —Michele Lovio, Thousand Oaks, California
Featured In: 68 Cinco de Mayo Party Recipes
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup and melted chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets (do not flatten). Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops are puffed and cracked. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake cookies as directed. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Mexican Chocolate Sugar Crisps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p149
Reviews for Mexican Chocolate Sugar Crisps
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review