Mexican Chili Pie Recipe
This recipe is one of my husband Dwayne's favorite, especially during cooler weather. The topping is crunchy, and the chili has just enough spice to warm you up inside in even the coldest weather! I add a simple side salad to complete the meal.—Heather Thurmeier, Pense, Saskatchewan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda, salt and sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add seasonings and tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add green pepper. Spoon 2 cups into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; top with half of the beans. Repeat layers.
- 2. For topping, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cheese. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread over filling.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 450 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC