Mexican Chili Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda, salt and sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add seasonings and tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add green pepper. Spoon 2 cups into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; top with half of the beans. Repeat layers.
- 2. For topping, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cheese. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread over filling.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 450 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 28g protein .
Reviews for Mexican Chili Pie
"I have made this more than several times and we love it. I do substitute ground turkey sometimes for the ground beef...still delicious whether you use beef or turkey.."
"This is a family favorite. My husband asks for it on a regular basis. We like to add some frozen corn for even more color and flavor."