- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (32 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is well coated.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the V8 juice, salsa, beans and corn. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with cheese, sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Soup
"I will absolutely make this again, but since I like my soup in the thick side, I will skip the water. Rather than V8, I used cream of chicken soup since my family isn't much on V8 and tomato products. But I did keep in the salsa. Instead of just eating it like soup, we dipped some tortilla chips in as well. Even my 2 year old enjoyed that! And can't beat the convenience of using the slow cooker."
"Great taste, easy to make. My whole family voted it a keeper. It's been on our regular menu for several months now."
"Very easy to make and flavorful. I used the Perdue Shortcuts Southwest seasoned chicken. I buy them only when they are on sale and I have coupons, so I'm usually stocked up in the freezer. Definitely a keeper. Next time I will make it in a soup pot instead of a slow cooker and maybe add a little green chilles."
"Very tasty and simple to make. Great with tortilla chip scoops!"
"Surprisingly flavorful given the few ingredients. Definite keeper! I left out the corn but served with corn bread on the side."