Mexican Chicken Soup with Jalapeno Dumplings Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion and chili powder in remaining oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cilantro and cumin. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts plus 12 dumplings).
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Soup with Jalapeno Dumplings
Sort By :
Just so so
I substituted the chicken with Adouille Cajun Style Sausages(fully cooked) and this came out ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! I also sprinkled a little cayenne pepper on the onions and doubled the dumplings. I will be adding this to my recipe binder =)
this recipe was wonderful, but 2 things kept it from getting a 5-star rating. 1, after the chicken is cooked and removed from the pan it is not mentioned again in the recipe, so i proceeded with the remainder of the instructions, put the dumplings in and the lid on (which you're not supposed to open), and lo and behold thre's the dish of chicken sitting there waiting for me. so i put it in after the fact, and that kinda sunk some of the dumplings. secondly, in all honesty, i didn't think the dumplings were very good at all. they added nothing to the soup, tasted very bland, and i'll be keeping this recipe on file, but i won't be bothering with them. the soup can totally hold its own w/o the dumplings, and it's just extra calories i don't need. but 5 stars for the soup itself!!
Can't wait to try this but the recipe doesn't say what to do with the chicken after it's cooked. I assume it goes back in the pot with the beans, corn, etc.
Very yummy. I too would make more dumplings, did not make enough.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dumpling Soup >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >