Mexican Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in chicken and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese and cilantro.
- 3. Spread 3/4 cup chicken mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 2/3 cup ricotta mixture, 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and shredded cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 396 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Lasagna
"I made this using my own enchilada sauce and I also used a rotisserie chicken. I thought the flavor was good but next time will add green chilies and a little chipotle.I would like it a little more spicy"
"Very tasty , and simple to make."
"I changed a couple of things:1. I used green chili enchilada sauce in place of the regular2. I used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta3. I used 2 cups Mexican cheese and 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese4. I put the lasagna together in the morning and popped it into the oven when I got home from workWe LOVED it. Very tasty. The only change I would consider would be using 2 cans of sauce instead of 3."
"This is really good! I did, however, add more chicken and left out the eggs, ricotta cheese, and cilantro. I also used mozzerella cheese instead of the mexican cheese blend."
"Poor blend of flavors. The only flavors that we experienced were the cilantro and enchilada sauce. We couldn?t taste the cheeses, chicken or even the onion."
"This was so good! Don't skip the fresh cilantro... it really boosts the flavor! We used southwest seasoned, cooked chicken and topped our servings with a big dollop of sour cream."
"Did not like - too saucy for our tastes."
"A really good, tasty recipe. Made a few small changes - used 4 cups of "shredded" chicken instead of cubed, 4 cups of my own homemade enchilada sauce, not 3, used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta, 5 cups of cheese, not 4 (2-1/2 tex-mex and 2-1/2 jalapeno monterey jack, shredded), added a 4 oz can of chopped green chilies, drained and rinsed and lastly freshly minced parsley for the top. Will definitely make this again and again!"
"My husband and I loved this! I used shredded chicken, over 2 cups cottage cheese (instead of the ricotta), 1/8 cup dried parsley (instead of the cilantro), and a mozzarella/cheddar cheese blend (instead of the Mexican cheese). Yum! -Lori in WI."
"Thank you all for your wonderful reviews. This is definitely a family favorite and the ease of prep can't be beat. I was fortunate enough to star in my own video series /Food Network and this is one of the dishes I chose to prepare. You can see it here: www.recipezaar.com/video"
"I make this recipe often. My whole family loves it!"
"I thought that this was an excellent dish and was very easy to prepare. I would add that we have a small family, and we cut this one in half and it worked perfectly. It was great having the heartiness of lasagna with the flavor of my favorite Mexican meal."
"I thought this dish was over-powered by the cilantro. Beware! Other than that I thought this was delicious. I WILL make this again, but with white or green onion instead."
"This is the best lasagna! I have made it at least on three different occasions and received compliments each time. It's easy and yummy.hophopsgrandma"
"I make this same casserole, only I use corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles. Either way it is great!"
"I'm thinking I might try this but with ground beef. I did not think it would ever happen but I am so tired of chicken stuff just the thought turns my stomach. "
"I made it in two 8 inch pans and froze one for later use. Very yummy and different!!"