- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, chilies and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; add tomato. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Sort By :
"This is my all time favorite meal. Best soup ever! Almost everyone I have shared it with agrees. There is also plenty of room to play with proportions and small ingredients in this recipe"
"This has good flavor and it's easy to add or exchange ingredients. Instead of a tomato (which I didn't have on hand in winter), I threw is salsa. I also used frozen corn instead of canned cream of corn."
"This recipe is very good as written. However, it is a good starting point for a really great chowder! I add a can of white beans, whole kernel corn, chili powder and a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes. I also used homemade chicken stock in place of the water and bouillon. It is a great chowder!"
"Used fat-free half & half and left out the tomatoes (my daughter doesn't particularly like them). Was excellent and very easy! Will make again!"
"This contest winning recipe did not need another great review but it is awesome! I too, used fresh corn and regular milk. Fabulous taste, hearty and very easy to put together. Easy to prepare on week night. This is going to become a regular in our house. This truly is a great recipe!"