- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, chilies and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; add tomato. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
"As written this is not even a chowder. Its a soup. It isnt thick at all. The corn is barely there. One can is not enough at all. Needs 2 cans cream corn plus 1 can whole corn imo. plus corn starch to thicken. I like the spice of chili peppers but this isnt a recipe as written, that i would ever make again. needs some major alterations for it to be good. That picture is misleading also. there is no way that picture is this soup unless they changed the recipe to make it thicker. it will not come out like the photo if you dont thicken it with something."
"Easy to make and add ingredients"
"It was tasty. It tasted like it had tortilla in it because of the creamed corn. It was on the spicy side, but not too bad."
"My husband likes chicken corn chowder, and I really wanted to make it homemade. We had this wonderful recipe for it tonight for dinner. I have a very happy husband who says this is a real keeper! Thank you for this recipe."
"Absolutely comfort food! I did make some alterations: I typically use 2-3 tomatoes, 2 cans, not 1, of creamed corn, and since I felt the "kick" was missing in the original, I add some cajun seasoning. All family members enjoy this one--give it a try!"