- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, chilies and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; add tomato. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Sort By :
"It was tasty. It tasted like it had tortilla in it because of the creamed corn. It was on the spicy side, but not too bad."
"My husband likes chicken corn chowder, and I really wanted to make it homemade. We had this wonderful recipe for it tonight for dinner. I have a very happy husband who says this is a real keeper! Thank you for this recipe."
"Absolutely comfort food! I did make some alterations: I typically use 2-3 tomatoes, 2 cans, not 1, of creamed corn, and since I felt the "kick" was missing in the original, I add some cajun seasoning. All family members enjoy this one--give it a try!"
"I have made this several times. It is a wonderful soup."
"Quick, Easy - and so good - used corn I had grilled last season on the bbq and frozen - SUPER YUM!!! Also used some pepper jack cheese for a bit of zip!!! I get Cream in 1/2 gallons - and since I can't use it all at once - I put it in my cupcake pan and freeze it - Makes it easy to use portions!!! Brought the soup to work - shared and had to make several copies of the recipe! Thanks Susan!!"