Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the chicken green pepper and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the corn, broth, salsa, salt, chili powder if desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 2. Stir in the rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 381 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Chicken and Rice
"After eating this, I scheduled an urgent and elaborate surgery that will prevent me from having a bowel movement for the next 3 months. I am jealous of the toilet that will eventually swallow the remains of this incredible meal."
"Very boring. It's good enough to cook and eat if you're tired or lazy, but nothing really impressive at all."
"We found this dish to be okay, but nothing spectacular! Sorry. Won't make again."
"so great and very forgiving! i didn't have the onion corn or cheese and it was still great. my guys are very picky. its gone!"
"Fast and easy and delicious!"
"Picky family, especially one dish dinners. They loved it!!!"
"i made this with a precooked blend of brown and wild rice, and even though i completely forgot the corn it was still delicious! The chili powder really makes all the difference. Next time though i'll only add a half tsp and the corn is going in. :)"
"Yummy! Made this one using a can of Rotello Tomatoes with Chilis; it was very good and is definitely going to be made again...."
"not really a mexican rice dish the way mexicans make it"
"I was looking for a way to use leftover roasted chicken and found this recipe. My whole family, 18mon old & 6 yr old (who eats next to nothing) included really liked this dish. I added black beans and a whole can of chicken broth so the rice wouldn't be crunchy. I think this is a great way to use leftover chicken and I had everything else on hand so no special shopping trip needed which I really liked!"
"Delicious! Kids loved it and it was even yummy with severe morning sickness! I made brown rice with a cup of chicken broth & only used 1/2 cup of salsa to compensate."
"We made it with regular rice (steamed in another pot) and a tomato in place of the salsa (so it wouldn't be so saucey with the pre-cooked rice). Turned out good."