Born out of a need to rid the fridge of extras, this recipe is flexible. Add more corn to make it sweeter, if you like. You can also spice it up as hot or mild as you want.—David Mills, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine beans and salsa. Cover and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until spreadable.
- Place three tortillas in a greased round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with half of the beef, bean mixture, corn and cheese; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, olives and sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Casserole in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p16
Reviews for Mexican Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review