Mexican Casserole Recipe
Born out of a need to rid the fridge of extras, this recipe is flexible. Add more corn to make it sweeter, if you like. You can also spice it up as hot or mild as you want.—David Mills, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine beans and salsa. Cover and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until spreadable.
- 3. Place three tortillas in a greased round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with half of the beef, bean mixture, corn and cheese; repeat layers.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, olives and sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings) equals 546 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,368 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC