Mexican Carnitas Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 large oranges, divided
- 1 large lemon
- Oil for frying
- 12 to 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and guacamole
- Place meat in a medium-size roasting pan. Sprinkle with garlic and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice from one orange and the lemon over the meat. Slice the remaining oranges and place over the meat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for about 2 hours or until meat is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove meat and drain well on paper towels. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and fry meat in batches until browned and crispy.
- Serve warm in tortillas with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mexican Carnitas(2)
Sort By :
I expected the citrus to shine through in this meat, which it didn't really, but the overall taste was still quite delicious! Served it up with avocado slices & fresh cilantro in corn tortillas.
I like that after the meat has baked it can be refrigerated (the taste actually improves) or even frozen. Later I only have to take what I need to fry, instead of frying it all for one meal and probably having leftovers.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >