- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef with seasonings over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and cabbage until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in beef, chilies, water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, to allow flavors to blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro. If desired, top with pico de gallo and sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Mexican Cabbage Roll Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Reviews for Mexican Cabbage Roll Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review