Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe
“I make this recipe whenever I'm having overnight guests,” writes Leona Hansen of Kennedy Meadows, California. “Fresh fruit and tortillas or sweet rolls go very well to complete breakfast.”
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salsa, optional
- 1. In an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the bread cubes, ham, chilies and red pepper.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, onion powder, cumin, mustard and cayenne. Pour over bread mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (calculated without salsa) equals 305 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 1,154 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Mexican Breakfast Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC