“I make this recipe whenever I'm having overnight guests,” writes Leona Hansen of Kennedy Meadows, California. “Fresh fruit and tortillas or sweet rolls go very well to complete breakfast.”
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salsa, optional
- In an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the bread cubes, ham, chilies and red pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, onion powder, cumin, mustard and cayenne. Pour over bread mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Breakfast Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p56
Reviews for Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review