- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salsa, optional
- In an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the bread cubes, ham, chilies and red pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, onion powder, cumin, mustard and cayenne. Pour over bread mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Breakfast Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p56
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2010
Delicious. I made this for my extended family and EVERYONE loved it, even the kids. I did serve it with salsa which was good. The only thing I changed was using 5 eggs instead of egg-substitute.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >