Chopped green chilies and flakes of red pepper provide flecks of color in every slice of this large loaf. Slightly spicy with ground cumin, it's great for sandwiches or as an accompaniment to mild soups.
Recommended: Top 10 Mexican Dinner Recipes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions; (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Mexican Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p28
Reviews for Mexican Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review