My husband's a vegetarian so I love finding meatless recipes we all like. These burgers are not only easy to make, but they freeze well. We sometimes top them with chipotle mayo for a more smoky flavor. They're good with hot sauce, too. —Ellen Finger, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chilies, onion, pepper and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the onion mixture, egg, chili powder, cumin and bread crumbs; mix well.
- Shape into four patties; transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake 8-10 minutes on each side or until heated through. Serve on buns with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Black Bean Burgers in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2014
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mexican Black Bean Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review