Mexican Beef Soup Recipe
As owners of a nursery, we entertain salespeople quite a bit. I like to prepare this spicy soup as a warm way to welcome them into our home. It tastes great with fresh corn bread.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded cooked roast beef
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef and onion; drain. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add corn and beans; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 179 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC